Saturday, August 06, 2011

Climbing up the bell tower

Behind Bars



Last summer I visited the Medieval church in Västerhaninge hoping to climb up the thirty meter high tower as I wanted to see the view and document it. That didn't work out as I had planned, but you might remember that I got a photo of the Priestess instead. This summer it went a bit better as I was able to climb up the tower yesterday afternoon together with a few other people. Unfortunately there's a grid mesh that makes photography a bit tricky from the tower, but I did manage to get a few cool shots including one panorama. The smiling couple you can see in the slideshow are Mattias and Cecilia. They told me that they were fans of my blog and that is always fun to hear. On the way down we stopped and had a closer look at the pipe organ. One of the guides played a few tunes and I recorded a short video that you can see at my Vimeo site. The two other photographers that you can see are Sune Nilsson and his son Ulf Nilsson. The red wooden building on one of the photos is the old church school. These days Birdman, whom you have met on the blog a couple of times, lives on the second floor of that old building.

9 comments:

Dianne said...

That's amazing Steffe to meet followers of your blog right at the top - Love that beautiful bell!
It was well worth the climb.

Birdman said...

Any sign of the hunchback of ND?

Jack said...

You know, shooting through the grate for a scenic view is actually pretty good.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Excellent record of your climb Steffe and I agree with Jack,the view through the grill is really good, gosh everything looks so lush out there!

Stefan Jansson said...

No hunchback, but I did meet a former wrestler outside the church. He used to be a troublemaker in his youth and would gladly pick a fight at the different outdoor dance venues around Haninge. Oh, and he had wrestled against the World Champion that you met on the blog earlier this week, and actually beaten him once!

Bob Crowe said...

Makes me think of the old country and western tune: give me land, lots of land under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.

Alan said...

Good idea on the DOF to keep everything in focus.

Julie said...

Those steps appear almost vertical, Steffe. I guess shots straight down of the cemetery were either impossible or not on your agenda. The one shot of headstones that I saw gives the impression that at least that part of the cemetery is very spacious, with the stones well-spread.

Thanks for all the links in your post, and for your continued contribution to Taphophile Tragics.

Stefan Jansson said...

It was impossible to shoot straight down Julie. Hopefully I will be able climb up there again, preferentially before the spring, actually now would be a good time to revisit.